Sunday, October 5, 2014

Saigon, Bon appetit!

On Saturday me and some of my close friends decided to take a trip back to our childhood, a trip on our memory lanes to Bến Thành Market. Here is the consequence to the trip, a blog post about Saigon's "street" food. 

Food, Saigon’s food will make you say “Yummy, yummy in my tummy”. I find it so hard to finish writing this blog post without my mouth drooling or my stomach constantly drumming, demanding for food.

Bến Thành market

Don’t bother to go to fancy restaurants, try street food instead, even the look of it is incredibly irresistible. Warning, don’t take risk and try to sniff in the smell. As soon as the exquisite scent diffuses into your nose, you will need an extremely strong will to not charge in and order every dishes. Bắp xào (Stir-fried corn with margarine), Bánh tráng trộn (Rice paper “salad”), Cá viên chiên (Fried fishballs), Bột chiên (Fried steamed flour cubes with eggs and soy sauce), Bánh Bèo are some of the most common, underrated yet intimidating street food that will make you crave for more.


Bánh bèo

Sweet food game in Saigon is just way too strong; Chè is a must for all those sweet tooth out there! Some of the Chè I recommend are Chè ba màu (mixture), Chè bắp (my personal favourite, corn fans, must try.), Chè khoai môn (taro) and Chè đậu (Beans, red, black, green).

Chè bắp 

Chè Ba Màu

Bánh Flan 

Cơm Rượu (rice in alcohol, light alcohol)

Did I even mention about the sticky rice? Oh yes! Xôi dò, xôi gất, xôi bắp (corn sticky rice, with a pinch of sugar on top), xôi đậu phộng (Peanut sticky rice) are the things that were sent from heaven to Saigon.

Some of my friends


All of the food above are available in Bến Thành market!

Saigon and Bến Thành market

Notes: I'm sorry I couldn't take photos of all of the food but when I do I will update on this blog! Thank you guys x


No comments:

Post a Comment